By 1985 Skrewdriver’s lineup got an additional member from Italy. Steve Roda was a skinhead from Bologna and played for the first time for Skrewdriver at a RAC gig in East Ham, London. Soon after this new lineup was in the studio recording two tracks for the compilation LP No Surrender which was a joint White Noise Records / Rock-o-Rama Records project involving some eleven bands. With Steve playing the second guitar this added more atmosphere and helped the band develop its heavier sound. Skrewdriver ended up contributing Don’t Let Them Pull You Down and Tearing Down The Wall to the project LP No Surrender. Soon after the LP’s release Murray Holmes left the band, so lacking a bassist Steve filled in and Paul Swain joined the band. Swainy was the ex-axeman with the Oi! band the 4 Skins. The 4 Skins themselves were not new to the nationalist scene. They were involved in the race riot at the Hambrough Tavern, Southall in 1981. The band were doing a gig at the Hambrough Tavern, along with fellow Oi! boys The Last Resort and The Business. The 4 Skins were in the middle of belting out Chaos and the pub windows were pelted with bricks and bottles rained in from over 2,000 Paki’s rampaging outside throwing petrol bombs about. Gary Hitchcock the 4 Skins manager was also an ex-member of the British Movement.

In the 1950’s the word was Rock n Roll, but now in the mid 1980’s Ian’s very own word was White Rock. Skrewdriver having progressed from punk to street punk to Oi! and now onto heavy rock. This new musical development was proved with the bands third album – Blood & Honour.

With the bands debut on Rock-o-Rama still selling as fast as day one, the label again requested some more recordings. Again Ian already had enough material for an album, and so immediately went to studio. Scotty himself got involved in the engineering and producing the songs which helped improve the overall professionalism and clarity of their sound. The pace of the new tracks was actually slower but this actually enhanced the melodies and allowed Ian’s vocals to dominate. Ian was extremely pleased with the final product, as any change in musical direction was risky, for fear of alienating their traditional skinhead following.

Blood & Honour was recorded in the Autumn of 1985 together with two other tracks intended to be released on single. In addition to showcasing the bands newer White Rock sound, the album also featured lan’s strong belief in National Socialism. Outstanding tracks on the album include Blood & Honour, The Way It’s Got To Be, Prisoner Of Peace (to the memory of brave heroic Rudolf Hess, who on the 10th of May 1941 parachuted from his plane into Scotland seeking to end war between Britain and Germany and was imprisoned for 46 years to the everlasting shame of humanity), The Jewel In The Sea, and the anti-drugs anthem Needle Man. The albums cover design was created by Bugs Tattoo Parlour which was on the Caledonian Road, north London, which led many a skinhead to visit the shop and have the Blood & Honour Viking tattoo.

The release of the Blood and Honour LP found a resounding thumbs up from Skrewdriver’s established supporters. Ian sang about drugs (Needle Man), soviet tyranny (Poland), Rudolf Hess (Prisoner Of Peace) and daily life (One Fine Day). These were blended in with more general themes of racial pride. It was while travelling home from the studio that Ian and some band members and crew were involved in a scuffle at King Cross Underground station with some feral black criminal gang. The air was soon filled with violence as the two sides fought, only stopped by the Transport Police. Ian and flat mate, Des Clarke were singled out and arrested. Clarke had played a major part in organising Skrewdriver merchandising and the White Noise fanzine. Charged with violent disorder, Ian and his co-defendant stood trial on the 11th December 1985. The black youths failed to show up for 3 days in a row. Without them there could be no case. However the police were keen to see the Ian & Des behind bars, actually collecting the darkies from their homes and delivered them to court! The Judge was unrepentant, and both Ian and Des Clarke received 12 months in jail.

Here are some reports from various tabloids on what “allegedly” transpired:

David Brown in the Sunday Observer:

‘Led by lan Stuart who was jailed for 12 months in 1986 for a street attack on a Nigerian in the King’s Cross area of London, Blood and Honour is planning to tour Holland, Belgium, France, Sweden and the United States later this year’.

Garry Bushell in The Sun, 6 March 1986:

Stewart, 28 – who changed his name from Donaldson – is serving 12 months in Wayland Prison, Norfolk, for attacking a West Indian’.

Chris Dignan in a local Derby newspaper, 1993:

‘He was jailed for 12 months in 1986 for attacking a Nigerian woman on a London Street’.