At the beginning of 1989 Blood & Honour organised a private function in Swiss Cottage, north London. The gig itself was at the North Star pub situated on the Finchley Road, was fairly small but had an upstairs hall that had held more than its fair share of rock concerts and private functions previously.

But before the gig Ian and Brutal Attack vocalist Ken McClellan had met up to discuss the gig plans. They were having a quiet drink in a local pub when a group of around 12 to 15 Reds Scum burst through the doors and attacked the two with CS gas, knives and bottles. Ian was hit over the head and despite being injured Ian and Ken both valiantly fought back and the commie cowards were sent packing down the road with blood covered faces. If it hadn’t been for the quick thinking actions of McClellan, although stabbed in the face, Ian’s wounds would have been far greater. He later received 26 stitches which looked worse than they were and luckily Ken had come off relatively unscathed. But rather than go to the hospital and let the crowd at the gig down they went straight ahead and did the concert. Returning to the North Star Ian was immediately surrounded by concerned friends who were all ready to go out for revenge. Ian’s reply was to launch into tirade of hatred directed at his assailants, whom he believed to be members of the Marxist Red Action. This was followed by a powerful rendition of his musical repertoire. He refused to wipe the blood that was dripping down from his shaved head onto his ‘We’ve Got The Power’ T-shirt. It was as much for effect as it was a sign of defiance to those who would try to stop him. The commies, albeit unwittingly, were driving lan on. The more they tried to stop him, the more determined he became to be triumphant despite them. In the end Ian’s attackers had achieved nothing but improve his standing in nationalist circles as a martyr and street warrior.

To National Socialists all over the world 1989 marked what would have been the 100th birthday of Adolf Hitler. Celebrations were planned all over the world. In Britain the media were still focused on one man – Ian Stuart. Many in he rank and file of the BNP or NF would have loved to have made a more public display to the memory of Hitler but knew that it would create unwanted bad publicity for their political parties. Ian Stuart didn’t have such concerns and in a full colour photograph, taken inside his cramped flat in Kings Cross, Ian stood surrounded by pictures and regalia of everything White and holding a swastika flag. Keith Dovkants the reporter from the London Evening Standard had come to visit ‘The Man Who Loves Hitler’.

From the ever cunning schemes of the opposition a new plan was needed. One such idea worked out well and embarrassed the media. No Remorse had sent out cassettes of some of their less controversial songs under the false band name Valhalla. Almost all of the clubs receiving them wrote back favourably and offered them gig slots. One such night in April 1989 No Remorse were asked if they knew of another band who could play alongside them. Within a few days the night ads were in all the major music papers – “Valhalla and Strike Force live at the Cave.” Strike Force was the false name for Skrewdriver and The Cave was a disco in Islington and its owner was Paul Solomon. In times like these the bands never knew quite what to expect and the first obstacle was to ensure that they got inside without too many questions. Once the bands and roadies were in it was almost impossible for the promoter to stop the event. The Cave gig went well, the audience responded favourably and there was something of a party atmosphere. What astonished Ian was the fact that Mr Solomon was keen to have them back! At first Ian guessed he was just being sweet-talked until the everyone had safely left the premises. But Ian was surprised when he later received a call confirming a second booking. Unfortunately for Ian it wasn’t too long before the cat was out of the bag. New Musical Express magazine were red faced at their own embarrassment at how they could have advertised a Skrewdriver gig in their pages. Mr Solomon was threatened with the withdrawal of his entertainment’s license if he ever played host to a RAC gig again and the second booking never happened. Outside of London gigs were easier to come by. Skrewdriver started to appear regularly in and around Nottingham city. It was an area that would soon become Ian’s permanent place of residence.

As part of the 1989 Break the Chains Tour saw Skrewdriver to play in Eskistuna, Sweden. A week before the gig Gerry Gable, the Jewish communist convicted criminal and one of his cronies from Searchlight a Graham Atkinson, both travelled to Sweden and gave a press conference. Gable told the newspapers that he was a journalist and said that Skrewdriver were not going to do the gig. He told the listening reporters that lan Stuart was going to speak at a political meeting and the gig was just a cover. This was an outright lie and blatant fabrication. But meant Gable managed to get the hall in Eskilstuna closed by the police who were worried at Gable’s scaremongering of violence in the streets. The police bussed in an extra 120 officers from Stockholm to meet some 24 or so anti-fascists led by Gerry and his midget chum Atkinson. Whilst this was all going on, the organisers of B & H adapted their plans and had booked a standby hall. Gable and his red ragbag army had wasted thousands of Swedish taxpayers money for the extra police, and Skrewdriver were still holding an extremely successful concert (not a meeting) in Stockholm for over 300 supporters from Sweden, Finland and Germany enjoying a great musical evening with no trouble and no arrests. The Break the Chains tour took Skrewdriver to various concerts around Europe. Sweden was popular as was Germany where, at Nieheim, over a 1000 German nationalists came to see their heroes. Concerts abroad had a very different atmosphere to those in Britain. At home Ian knew most of his audience by sight and name and although they full respect for him, their admiration was never really hero worship. Abroad his fanatical supporters looked upon him as something of a God. On arriving at the venues Ian would often find a long queue forming. They were lining up to meet him and get his signature. Certainly touched by the massive show of affection Ian never let this fame go to his head. He saw it more as an opportunity to channel this appreciation towards the cause.

By the spring of 1989 the project band of Ian called The Klansmen was in full flow. Many thought the diversion into the Rock-a-billy scene was a good idea. And it would have been a bigger success if Rock-O-Rama had put in more backing and investment. The Break The Chains tour had just been accomplished and in May Ian decided to venture solo to release No Turning Back. lan was writing so much material doing a solo album seemed the obvious way to get all his songs out. No Turning Back was in much the same idea as previous Skrewdriver albums with songs like Triumph Of The Will, Red Flags Are Burning and Firepower. But this one was a slightly more personal album. Ian included the cover tracks of It’s A Hard Road and the Who’s Behind Blue Eyes to the LP. Which seemed to sum up how difficult it is to continue playing in a White Rock and Roll band and putting up with all the pressures of Zionist intimidation everyday.

By now lan was a bit of a cult figure in the Carnaby Street area of London. With the stores attracting large numbers of skinheads and white youths acquiring Skrewdriver merchandise. Because of this numerous Jews tried to get the Cutdown shop closed including the head of Westminster Council Lady Porter, Councillor Paul Dwimoldenberg, Gerry Gable of Searchlight and Liz Kafete of the Anti-Fascist Action. In addition to the British Board of Jewish Deputies declaring lan Stuart to be the worst anti-semite in Britain! With this media popularity Andrew St. John and two other businessmen operating as The British Performance Company asked Skrewdriver and other Blood & Honour bands if they would be interested in doing the 1989 Main Event concert. Right from the beginning lan had concerns over the security arrangements. The same gig the year previous with Oi! bands was stopped by the police due to crowd trouble. This was not a B & H event and the promoters were in charge of all the organising and planning. However, it was agreed to do the gig mainly because of the resulting publicity that could be generated towards the Blood & Honour movement, and the promoters assured B&H staff that there would be no complications and everything would run like clockwork. The gig was billed The Main Event – Chapter Two and the bands lined up to play were Skrewdriver, Brutal Attack, Sudden Impact, No Remorse, Squadron, Vengeance and Bunker 84 from France. The concert like the Oi! one a year previously was an all ticket event for £7.50 each and could only be obtained via The British Performance Company. Over 1200 tickets were sold giving St. John and his friends a reasonable return on their investment. The promoters ensured the concert would go ahead booked three venues for the night, all under different names, and told people before buying tickets that the gig crowd video recorded and that all trouble makers would be identified and reported to the authorities. Plus, as an added security bonus the concert goers were told to rendezvous at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park were they would be told the concert venue and directions how to get there. Ian was still worried regarding the security arrangements and told the organisers to send leaflets to ticket buyers to transfer the redirection point to Euston Station to avoid trouble with Reds who were meeting at Hyde Park and stop Blood & Honour supporters getting provoked into giving the commies a good hiding. It turned out Ian’s concerns were right and despite all the promises from the organisers the Reds and their allies discovered the locations of all the concert halls booked and through Zionist pressure got the owners to cancel their obligations. B & H staff found out about the cancellations on Saturday 27 May, the day of the gig. Undeterred and through hard work and a bit of luck they managed to find a small venue in north Kent. At the same time Mr St. John never did send out the new rendezvous leaflets as promised. Luckily, most people heard by word of mouth to meet at Euston but unfortunately a few people in one’s and two’s went to Hyde Park. At odds of a hundred to one the brave Reds attacked the few people, which included the beating up of a 15 year old girl. Still against all the odds the gig when ahead, but lessons were learnt never to work with outsiders again. In the aftermath of The Main Event – Chapter Two it emerged the owner of Cutdown, Mr Andrew St John was really Mr Andrew Benjamin no less a shady Jewish businessman who ran the shop just to make money. No surprises there then. Obviously Ian and Skrewdriver cut all connections with Benjamin and his business immediately.